IFC Rd1: Castleconnor 0-14 v St.Pats 0-13

posted 6 Aug 2013, 02:39 by Unknown user
Sunday evening in Easkey with a slight crossfield breeze in otherwise perfect conditions was the setting for the first round of the 2013 Intermediate championship. 
A minutes silence was observed before the game for former underage player Matthew Crawford who was killed in Donegal in a car accident on Friday night.

The team was changed considerably from that which lost out at the semifinal stage in a replay last year with 6 new additions due to emigration and injury including Brian Curley, David Carrabine, Brian Howley, Alan Cawley, Patrick Naughton and Michael Langan.

Jason Earlis was making his first start in the championship at full forward from where he played a roving role. The early exchanges were tight with the lead changing throughout the half. Niall Judge got our first score from an acute angle and this was followed by a Kevin Langan point from a fre after he had been dragged down when bearing down on goal. Eamon Cawley scored 2 monster 45s to keep the scoreboard ticking over. We were under pressure and had Anthony Kilcullen to thank for a superb double save in the 23 minute. After 25 minutes we regained the lead which we never relinquished when Kevin Langan scored from play and a free and at half time we lead 0-7 v 0-6.

From the throw in Pats drove up the field to equalise but from the subsequent kickout Kevin McDonnell drove at the heart of the Pats defence to score the first of his three second half points. His score was quickly followed by scores from Niall Judge after good interplay with Stevie Curley and Kevin Langan before Kevin McDonnell puts us 4 up with 10 minutes to play with 2 more points from play. 

At this point Pats took over and put us under the proverbial koshand reduced the lead to 1 with 3 minutes to go in normal time. Eoin Kent who had come on for the injured John McDonnell broke out of defence three times in a 5 minute spell and was fouled on each occassion 50 metres from the Pats goal. Two attempts from Kevin Langan fell either side of the posts but on the third occassion Eamon Cawley drifted it over the crossbar off the post to increase the lead to 2. 

Pats equalised in the first minute of injury time and were unlucky not to get the equaliser with the last kick of the game but our young team held out for a deserved victory over our west Sligo rivals.

Next Sunday we take on Easkey in Enniscrone at 7:30pm.

Team: Anthony Kilcullen, Brendan Howley, David Fox, Keith Earlis, Martin Foody, Ronan Keane, John McDonnell, Kevin McDonnell(0-3), Paul Kilcullen, Eamon Cawley(0-4), Kevin Langan(0-4), Eoin Flynn, Stevie Curley, Jason Earlis, Niall Judge(0-3). Subs Eoin Kent, Patrick McGuinness