IFC Rd1: Castleconnor 2-11 v Enniscrone 0-5

posted 27 May 2012, 16:31 by Bart Barrins   [ updated 30 May 2012, 06:47 by Unknown user ]
Sunday evening we had this years first round Intermediate championship in Easkey versus our nearest neighbours Enniscrone. It was over thirty years since the clubs first teams had met and championship level and the crowd at the game showed how much it meant to both parishes. 

Young Kevin McDonnell got us off the mark in the second minute with a point from an acute angle in the second minute however Enniscrone settled better and scored the next three points. In the 16th minute we got our next point coming from David Carrabine after taking a pass from a 45 after Niall Judge had a good effort from him was saved. 

From the resulting kickout Ronan Keane found Brian Curley passed to Kevin Langan who palmed the ball to the net. Enniscrone scored their final point of the half in the 21st minute but from their to the break Paul
Kilcullen and Michael Langan took hold of midfield and in the final 5 minutes of the half we scored 1-4, a great team goal with Niall Judge at the end of a sweeping movement involving John McDonnell and Kevin
Langan with points from Brian Curley, John McDonnell and two from 
Kevin Langan to leave the score at the break 2-6 v 0-4.  

The second half was a quieter affair with scores few and far between.A long range effort from Michael Langan hopped over the bar in the 37th minute followed a minute later with a Paul Kilcullen effort. Points from Kevin Langan and a monster effort from Kevin McDonnell kept the scoreboard tipping over. Enniscrone launched an effort at this time and a great save from Anthony Kilcullen and follow up saves
from Martin Foody and a last ditch effort from Paul Kilcullen kept them out. 

From the all out attack a long clearance from our defence found Kevin McDonnell who was unlucky after beating the keeper with a shot seeing it come off the upright, but his brother put over from play with 7 minutes remaining. In the final minute Enniscrone scored    the final score of the game where we won 2-11 v 0-5.

Team: A.Kilcullen, R.Keane, D.Fox, T.Cawley, M.Foody, P.Naughton, D.Carrabine(0-1), M.Langan(0-1), P.Kilcullen(0-1), Brian Howley, K.Langan(1-3), J.McDonnell(0-2), B.Curley(0-1), K.McDonnell(0-2), N.Judge(1-0). Subs: K.Earlis, P.Sweeney, S.Kilgannon.

The team meet         St.Pats away next Saturday at 6pm.